PLUS, don’t miss this week’s Take Action Challenge and implement this week’s coaching tips.
Do you manage people? If so, get tools and strategies you need to take the fear out of feedback with my book You Have to Say the Words: An Integrity-Based Approach for Tackling Tough Conversations and Maximizing performance. You can find the paperback or digital version at Amazon, Barnes & Noble or your local book seller.
So enjoy this week’s episode of The Nimble Leader show. I appreciate you listening and I hope you tune in next week!
Won’t you help us? Please help the show and it’s rankings in iTunes by leaving a review by clicking here.
TAKE ACTION CHALLENGE:
To help you stay nimble, here is this week’s Take Action Challenge. Take these 5 actions steps in the coming week to improve your leadership.
- Reflect honestly on what your title and position mean to you. As I’ve said, there is a difference between being proud of your level of achievement and needing to remind people in order to gain authority or some perceived power. Ask yourself the following questions: Would people follow me if I wasn’t the boss? Do I correct people when they get my title incorrect? How do I introduce people who work for me to others? Do I say they work “for me” or “with me?” And this is a tough one…Do I treat others differently based on their title or position? If you find that you rely too much on title and position, it’s time to actively build your influence instead.
- Honestly assess if there any outside behaviors or relationships might be impacting your effectiveness as a leader. Is there a friendship that might be clouding your judgment or impacting your ability to be fair and objective? Do you party with people who report to you? Have you ever been drunk in front of them? Are you involved in any behaviors or activities that you feel you need to conceal from your boss?
- During the coming week, if the opportunity presents itself, admit that you’ve made a mistake or that you don’t have the answer. You will be surprised how freeing this admission can be for you. Model for others how you would like them to behave in similar situations.
- In the next week, identify three ways that you can be of service to your team. Remove an obstacle, provide them with a resource or support, or just role up your sleeves and help someone clear some of their workload.
- Invest in your growth and development. If you haven’t already, subscribe to this podcast and others that will help you to further develop your knowledge and skills. Develop a spirit of continuous learning. Attend an industry association meeting, watch a webinar, read a magazine article. I highly recommend Success Magazine, www.success.com. I’ve been getting this magazine since it’s re-launch in 2008 and read it cover to cover. One of the best features is the CD that comes with every issue that has additional interviews with today’s thought leaders.